Wednesday, April 19, 2017

1862 Blog

Jan 3, 1863
Dear Mary my beautiful wife, Ok so before I start and explain to you this recipe that I’ll be trying to cook, let me tell you why I'm not out in the field doing General salutes and stuff. I don't know if you know about my little mishap that happened a little bit ago, but I will try to explain the short story of it right here. So I was at the Battle of Antietam doing my thing, and I might've messed up a tiny little bit. So as you know the better army (the Union) has way more troops, but I just couldn’t help but be the cautious guy I am. After losing our posts and then gaining them back again several times in this bloody battle, our troops lost the land of Virginia to the rebels. Lincoln got a little bit upset with me for not pushing our advantage, but I was just trying to be considerate of our men. I don’t have much time to write this letter because I need to start cooking and doing my chores for the day, but, if you want to hear more about the details, it will probably come up in the paper soon (I know I'm famous)! So after this little  incident Lincoln demoted me so now I'm not in charge, but I guess that means I get to do whatever I want? Anyways, today I'm going to be sending home one of the recipes to you that I've had here and want you to have the kids try because it is way better than any of that hardtack stuff. Hopefully I can be writing again to you soon to pass the time before I go to Europe or something because not being the general is kind of boring. Tell the children I love them and stay safe. So here is the Pork with Vegetables Soup!





Pork Vegetable Soup Recipe
  • 1 large porkchop with no bones
  • 3 pots of water
  • Soaked carrots
  • Vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Fry the pork in a pan till cooked
  2. Boil 3 large pots of water with salt
  3. Split the pork evenly in the 3 pans while adding carrots to each one and let boil for 15 min.
  4. Add vinegar and salt and pepper to give more flavor
  5. Boil for 30 more min and enjoy this super easy recipie!

(I would like to disclaim that this is a real recipe from the Civil War)




No comments:

Post a Comment

1865 Blog

A Civil War Remembrance